My Sister’s Closet of Monroe County is a non-profit organization established to build a stronger community and promote economic self-sufficiency. We accomplish this mission by providing women with professional support services & tools for success.
During this coming MLK season’s – 40 Days of Peace, My Sister’s Closet will host multiple volunteer opportunities. These will help ensure our organization’s continued ability to provide essential tools and resources to low-income women looking for employment. The ultimate objective of these efforts will be to provide vulnerable populations with the ability to: 1) Improve their family’s economic status and, 2) increase the future positive outcomes for their children.
Volunteer opportunities will include: 1) Site Cleaning; 2) Shoe and purse shining; 3) Donation sorting; 4) Seasonal relocation of donations; 5) Data Entry; 6) Tagging; 7) Maintenance; 8) Organizing specialty areas for client services; 8) Shelf assembly; 9) Ready-2-Work – Video training & development for client programming. (For mentors and client service advocates).
At each of these events, we will reflect on the teachings of Martin Luther King, Jr., by choosing a volunteer each hour to read an MLK quote to the rest of the volunteers. These quotes will help us all to contemplate:
- How we all experience peace with we are concerned about the well-being of others.
- How helping others become successful, independent citizens proves Dr. King’s proposition that “Everybody can be great because everyone can serve.”
Please note, due to the current Pandemic Climate; we are excepting groups of five or less. To volunteer as a group or individually, please sign up at Director@SistersCloset.org or call: (812) 333-7710.
Covid-19 Safety Measurements at My Sister’s Closet include:
- Electrostatic HVAC Filter – Kills Viruses, Bacteria, Mold … etc. 24/7 every few minutes.
- Face masks and social distancing required by all.
- Hand washing and hand sanitizer stations available to all.
- Surfaces are cleaned routinely by staff and volunteers.
- All donations are quarantined 72 hours before sorting.
- All stock steamed at 202 0F before being tagged and hung on the floor.
- Temperature checks of volunteers.
- Hands-free registration with Civic Champs App.
For groups and individuals interested in participating, the following dates are available.
January 18th – February 27th, 2021.
Mondays – Fridays: 9am – 5pm; Saturdays: 9am – 4pm; Sundays: 1pm – 4pm
Executive Director/Founder – My Sister’s Closet of Monroe County